The Embassy of Japan in Haiti has inaugurated in the presence of the Ambassador of Japan, Mr. Kentaro Minami, of Departmental Director of the Ministry of the Environment, Accéus Manus and the agronomist Josué Charlecin, Coordinator of the Fraternal Organization for the Development of Savane Carré (OFDS) [NGO] the “Project of Soil Conservation and Reforestation in Savane Carré” in the Department of Artibonite, a project conducted by the OFDS.
Believing strongly that the component environment should be a dominant element of the reconstruction process in Haiti, the Government of Japan, through a funding of USD$100,984 has decided to make every effort to provide to the first communal section Savane Carré d’Ennery, the essential elements of a good start for such an approach. Also, the results of this project has among other things :
- Planting of 11.560 fruit trees (mango, orange, chadequiers, lemon)
- Planting of 8,000 forest trees (oaks, brakes, cedar, cassia, mahogany, eucalyptus)
- Treatment of 3 km of gullies
- The construction of 401 thresholds
- The valuation of protected areas between the thresholds by suckers of banana and yam mounds
- The construction of 25,000 linear feet of vegetative strips with sugar cane and pineapple suckers.